We all have had inadequate sleep at night at some point in our lives, which left us feeling tired the whole day. In the hustle and bustle of modern times, rest often seems to be rather a waste of time. But research has found that good sleeping habits play a crucial role in living a healthy life. One thing that should be evident that sleep is not the enemy of productivity; instead, it is necessary for it. The following are some points that would help you to sleep better:
Tips To Sleep Better
1. Light: this has a significant impact on the quality of our sleep. Melatonin is a hormone produced in the brain which has powerful rejuvenation and antioxidant properties and regulates our circadian rhythms- our internal body clocks. Our body naturally releases this hormone in the evening, which makes us sleepy. People exposed to more melatonin in early mornings will produce more of it in the evening, allowing us to sleep faster and more profound. So we should maximize our exposure to light somewhere between 6–8 in the morning. Moreover, no screen policy 60 minutes before going to be is necessary. Sleeping in a pitch-black room is to be ensured because the light is absorbed even through our skin.
2. Timing: this is the most crucial component for a good night’s sleep. If we don’t pay attention to the schedule, all our efforts to have a good sleep will go futile. It’s like watering plants in the rain. The first thing we need to do is to make sure we go to bed within 30 minutes of the same time every night. Cutting down sleep during weeks and compensating on weekends should never be done. The second thing is to wake up early. Humans have evolved to be awake in the morning and sleep in the night. Magic window for sleep is between 10 pm to 2 am.
3. Lifestyle choices: caffeine curfew is the first important thing you need to implement. Caffeine is a nervous system stimulant and similar to adenosine, which is naturally produced in our bodies when we are awake. But caffeine stays for much longer in our system. So we should avoid any caffeine exposure after 4 pm.
Points Not To Forget
- Healthy mind: stress is another hurdle in getting good sleep. We should try to eliminate all kinds of pressure to be healthier. Exercise is an excellent way for that. It releases endorphins in our bodies and makes us feel good. A 30 minute morning walk or jog is the way to go. Supplementing with magnesium is yet another way to get a good sleep. Meditate, if possible, as it is a great way to relax.
- Your Room: the place where we sleep has a significant impact on the quality of our sleep. Your bedroom should be filled with fresh air and provoke a sense of relaxation. Indoor plants help in this. Television should not be kept in the bedroom as it is a distraction. We should limit our work on the bed.
- Miscellaneous: your pillow should be comfortable according to your needs. Dinner should be eaten at least three hours before bedtime. Avoid sleeping empty stomach, though